Friday, June 2, 2017

My Dad


                The day Ed passed away, I had been holding his hand and I didn’t want to let it go. I wanted to hold it as long as possible. It made me feel close to him. He was sleeping, and holding his hand was my way of letting him know I was there for him, we were all there for him that day and every day since, a memory of him would come to mind, a silly joke “because we all know how silly he liked to be” or times that I spent with him when I was little and I wanted to share some of those memories. I was young when he came into our lives and I was a very shy girl and didn’t talk much, so I’m sure it wasn’t easy for him to get to know me. But the wonderful thing about Ed was he wanted to and I was very lucky he did. I remember in the very beginning of him living with us, he and I would read the newspaper together. I was just a kid so at the time it was just reading the newspaper and it was fun reading the funnies and I liked having him tell me the things he was reading about. Sometimes I didn’t get the jokes that were in the funnies and he would have to explain them to me. Which he was very good at and he always made me laugh, but looking back at it now makes me realize that it was much more than just reading the paper together, it was the beginning of becoming a family and a memory I will always cherish. I remember how he use to try to make me pee my pants by tickling me. He would tickle me so hard I couldn’t breathe but I never peed my pants. Thank goodness because he would never stop teasing me about it if I had. I learned very quickly I could tell him anything and that quiet little girl became not so quiet. Because he had such a big heart he made time for a shy little girl that wasn’t his daughter, but became his daughter. A lesser man would not have taken the time. I have lots more wonderful stories of Ed and I am sure all of you do too. With those stories and special memories, he will always be in our hearts and minds. Life was not always perfect and often crazy but I am blessed to have him as my dad. He was an incredible man and I will miss him more that words can express.


No comments:

Post a Comment