Sunday, November 3, 2019

The Spirituality of a Fortune Teller

I had posted these journal pages on Instagram a few days ago
and thought I would share the details.
I love the gypsy boho style of these pages and I
am fascinated by Fortune Telling.
This is my Halloween journal I made a couple of years ago.
I try to create pages in it every year around this time.
I created this journal with an idea of it being the journal of  the
daughter of a 17th century undertaker and her obsession with her
fathers work and the death of the people he brings into
the mortuary where they also reside. The question of how,
when and where they died was something she was always trying to
figure out and this journal is where she documents everything
she discovers.

These pages are of the mysterious death of a Fortune Teller but the focused
is on her spirituality rather than her death.
I started with two pages that I had already sown on coffee stained coffee
filter and doily. I added some lace trim to the coffee filter that I had
made look grungy with some barn door, black soot and
vintage photo distress ink. On the opposite page I sewed on a
fabric flower to create a tab then distressed it with a little
black soot distress ink.

I stamped on the page with the distress archival ink vintage photo, ground
espresso and walnut stain using Tim Holtz fragments and the tree is a
wood mounted stamp from Inkadinkado 2016. The paper was coffee stained
prior to binding it in the journal. 
 
I stamped on the coffee filter with ground espresso archival ink and the fragments
stamp. The eye is from Tim Holtz Cadaverous stamp set. I added an 
embellishment under the eye that I cut from a piece of a vintage sari which 
I purchased from ETSY.

For the other page I added another piece of the vintage sari with a 
coin pinned to it with a safety pin. The head image came from a vintage book
about fortune telling. It came from the section on how to read
the bumps on a persons head and the vintage tickets were
purchased from Instagram. @tremblayspapershop @the_mad__fox
and @paperharborco are a few of my favorite. They always have
amazing vintage paper goodies. 

I made this journaling card using a vintage mini file divider. It was coffee
stained then I stenciled on some Ranger Texture Paste opaque crackle. 
The stencil was Prima I believe it is called Cherish. 

After it was dried I sprayed seedless preserves, broken china and
Victorian velvet distress oxide spray. I added lots of droplets of water. I love
that look. Added some stamps from Tim Holtz mini Halloween 5 set and 
correspondence stamp set. I added the work Palmistry typed with
my vintage type writer. The final touch was adding this
vintage cabinet card photo with a paper clip. 

When I stamped on the coffee filter and then flipped it opened
the stamp went through to the other side and it looks like it was stamped
on both sides. Didn't know it would do that. Happy accident.

Thank you for stopping by
I am sharing this at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge
Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a beautiful journal! The fabric cover and the inside pages look so amazing, you have created so much beauty 😀. Thanks so much for joining the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge! Happy and creative wishes, Jo x

    ReplyDelete